The objectives of the North Cheshire Photographic Society are to promote and further interest in photography in the North Cheshire area, by the organisation of meetings, lectures, demonstrations, exhibitions and competitions.
There will be four categories of membership:- (a) Junior; (b) Ordinary; (c) Honorary Life; (d) Joint.
Junior membership will be open to those under the age of 18, or engaged in full-time education.
Ordinary membership is open to all individuals not eligible for other categories.
Honorary Life membership may be awarded for distinguished service to the Society or to photography.
Joint: special membership rates apply to couples in the Ordinary category.
Membership is open to anyone in agreement with the objectives of the Society.
The committee retains the right to refuse or terminate membership.
Meetings will be held every Tuesday evening from September to May at the Civic Hall, Poynton, or at any other times and venues arranged by the committee or a General meeting.
Officers of the Society
President, President-Elect, Immediate Past President:
Presidents–Elect will be selected by the committee and will serve for one year as President-Elect; one year as President, and one year as Immediate Past President – the President may be elected to serve for a 2nd consecutive year, subject to the approval of the Annual General Meeting, The President-Elect and Immediate Past President may hold other elected offices.
The other officers of the society will be:
Secretary; Treasurer; Syllabus secretary; Exhibition secretary; Print Competition secretary; PDI Competition secretary; Publicity secretary; Social Secretary; Selection committee chairperson; Membership secretary; Webmaster; plus up to four committee members without portfolio. These officers will be elected at the AGM.
Elections and Nominations
- a) Nominations for officers and members of the committee must be proposed and seconded by fully paid-up members of the society and should be handed to the Secretary at least 48 hours before the AGM.
- b) Election will be by simple majority.
- c) Casual vacancies may be filled by co-option through the committee.
- d) Further committee members may be co-opted from the fully paid-up membership at the committee’s discretion.
Conduct of Committee meetings
- a) The committee will meet as necessary on a regular basis but at least five times a year
- b) The quorum for a committee meeting shall be five.
- c) The secretary shall keep a record of all business conducted at committee meetings.
- d) Minutes must be approved as a true and correct record.
- e) Propositions for discussion at committee meetings should be proposed and seconded, and may be approved by a simple majority.
- f) In the event of a tie in voting the President will have the power to exercise a casting vote.
- g) The committee will have the right to form sub-committees, and to co-opt onto sub-committees any member of the society who they consider will be able to assist in furthering the interests of the society.
- h) Sub-committees shall report on a regular basis to the full committee and at least once a quarter.
- a) Subscription rates for each category of membership will be recommended by the committee annually and determined by a simple majority at the AGM.
- b) The financial year of the society will extend from 1st April to the 31st March of the following year.
- c) Accounts will be audited by an independent auditor appointed at the AGM.
Closure of the Society
In the event that the members decide to cease meeting together as a society for whatever reason, the following procedure shall be adopted:
- a) An AGM, or else a Special General Meeting, shall be called.
- b) The motion shall be “to discuss the disposal of the society’s assets”.
Annual General Meetings (AGM)
- a) The AGM must be held within eight weeks of the end of the society’s financial year.
- b) Motions for debate at the Annual General Meeting must be proposed and seconded by fully paid-up members of the society and submitted to the secretary at least 14 days before the AGM.
- c) The Agenda for the AGM or EGM must be available to members at least 7 days before the meeting.
- d) The quorum for an AGM will be one quarter of the fully paid-up membership.
- e) All decisions will be reached by a simple majority.
- f) In the event of a tie in the voting the Chairperson will have a casting vote.
- g) An EGM may be requested at any time by the committee or on receipt of a request signed by fourteen fully paid-up members.
- h) Changes to the Constitution and to the Rules of the Society may be determined by a simple majority at the AGM or EGM provided that motions for such changes are duly proposed and seconded by fully paid-up members and in the case of an EGM such motions have been submitted in writing to the secretary and the membership notified of the date of the meeting at least 28 days in advance.
Exhibition and Competition Rules
- a) Separate sets of rules will be provided for the conduct of Exhibitions and Competitions.
- b) Proposals to make major changes to these rules must follow the same procedure as changes to the constitution.
Selection Committee – Conduct and Procedure
- a) The responsibility of the Selection committee will be to select suitable entries for competitions in which the society is engaged.
- b) The Selection committee shall consist of a chairperson who is duly proposed, seconded and elected by simple majority at the AGM, together with as many other members of the Society as the chairperson may choose. The methods of selection used will be the responsibility of the Selection committee.
(Revised 16 May 2012)